Friday, 5 May 2017

TBLB Blog Tour : Review of The Bad Luck Bride by Janna MacGregor : Post 3


1st book in The Cavensham Heiresses series by debut author Janna MacGregor.
I wanted to do the blog tour and review for this book because I loved the title and the cover. Pretty Shallow, I do agree, but that's what pulled me to it.
Now that I have read the book, it's not just a pretty cover and good title I'll remember, but a great story, a unique narration and a wonderful debut by a talented author.


Let's look at

The Blurb:


Disclaimer: Have a little faith and do not read the blurb. It contains one fourth of the plot. Go blind, you'll enjoy more.

IS MARRIAGE A BLESSING OR A CURSE?

A man of honor, Alexander Hallworth, Marquess of Pembrooke, will not rest until he exacts revenge on the man who destroyed his family. Just one more piece must fall into place for him to succeed he needs to convince his enemy’s fiancĂ©e, the tragically beautiful Lady Claire Cavensham, to marry him instead.

Lady Claire’s curse has always left her one misstep away from social ruin her past three engagements have gone awry, and now her fourth is headed in the same direction. . .until Alex, a man she barely even knows, shocks the ton and Claire by announcing their engagement. What begins as a sham turns into something deeper, and more passionate, than either Claire or Alex could have imagined. But when their secrets are revealed, will the truth behind their union scandalize them both or is their love strong enough to break the curse and lead them toward their happily ever after?


I knew you wouldn't care about the disclaimer! :P
I'm really thankful I didn't read the blurb and went in, as usual, completely blind. It really spells out half the story. I actually liked being surprised about Claire's broken engagements and learning Alex's motives. It was part of the story, If I had went in knowing these then the first 25% I wouldn't have enjoyed that much and I suggest you do the same.

My Review:

Alexander Hallworth, Marquess of Penbrooke, is on a quest to redeem the honour of someone he loved and lost. He is blind to everything and everyone apart from the urge to seek revenge against one person who he trust and tasted betrayal from. On this lonely path he encounters Lady Claire Cavensham. The heiress is a part of his elaborate scheme and is nothing but a pawn in the game. But what happens when she doesn't feel like part of the game but everything more?

Lady Claire Cavensham is the Ton's favourite pass time. They love to gossip about her and Claire has long ago learnt to ignore the vultures. But the hurt she carries in her and the shriveling sense of hope is hard to ignore. A chance encounter with Alex leaves her shaken and what suspiciously feels like a spark of hope is ignited in her.

But can Claire trust her destiny to not leave her desolate again? Just when she starts to trust Alex will his secrets come in the way between them?
Read the debut The Bad Luck Bride by Janna MacGregor to know more!

What I liked:
  • The Narration. Usually I take the  protagonist's name first in the list of what all I liked. But here I loved most the tone of the book. Every author have their own voice. Some stand out, some don't. But Janna MacGregor really succeds in creating a tone of her own that will be remembered.
  • Alex. Loyal and so faithful to the family that he melted my heart. There was absolutely no fault of his in the tragedy that happens yet the amount of pain in him cements my love for him. He was charming, loyal, caring, comforting and the perfect man for Claire
  • Claire. I loved Claire. Despite the curve balls that life has thrown towards her, she has never shied away. The testament of her strength is in her confidence and capability to so fiercely not covering against any threat. She was brilliant!
  • The twist to the Cliches. This story is not something that's never been seen before. A plot where the female lead is not so chaste - done before, A plot where the hero is out for revenge and heroine is the final piece - done before too! But whenever I thought 'Oh, this is what will happen. I just know it!' Janna threw me out of the loop and proved me wrong. The predictability of the novel despite it's plot was very less. There were new point of views, new perspectives and new ideas everywhere.
What I could have liked better:
  • I don't even remember not liking a thing about this book. It took a few pages to adjust myself to the narration, but once that I did, I didn't look back ever. It was completely love filled ride! 

Final Verdict:

Janna MacGregor is definitely on my TBR shelf from now on. I'm looking forward to her future books!
This was a great debut and I excuse any and all flaws it has because I loved Alex and Claire!!
I give this book: 5 Stars!!


Keep Reading,
Chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment