Wednesday, 29 March 2017

Review of Firelight by Kristen Callihan

1st book in the 'Darkest London' series.
I had previously read Kristen Callihan's Game on books. And I loved those. So when I found myself craving for something new and unique, I picked this one up without an ounce of hesitation.
Regency romance with a touch of paranormal? Sign me up! This is my first ever book with the two genres blend together and I loved it. Its like having a pistachio and chocolate flavoured ice cream together!

The Blurb:


Once the flames are ignited . . . 

Miranda Ellis is a woman tormented. Plagued since birth by a strange and powerful gift, she has spent her entire life struggling to control her exceptional abilities. Yet one innocent but irreversible mistake has left her family's fortune decimated and forced her to wed London's most nefarious nobleman.

They will burn for eternity . . .

Lord Benjamin Archer is no ordinary man. Doomed to hide his disfigured face behind masks, Archer knows it's selfish to take Miranda as his bride. Yet he can't help being drawn to the flame-haired beauty whose touch sparks a passion he hasn't felt in a lifetime. When Archer is accused of a series of gruesome murders, he gives in to the beastly nature he has fought so hard to hide from the world. But the curse that haunts him cannot be denied. Now, to save his soul, Miranda will enter a world of dark magic and darker intrigue. For only she can see the man hiding behind the mask.



Curious and curiouser. That's how I felt after I read this blurb. I wanted to read the book because this whole genre was new for me and the blurb has a lot of tempting pointers.

My review:


Miranda Ellis has been reduced to a shameful existence that she loathes. Guilty of an old mistakes she helps her father in any way she can. But, now her father tries to marry her of to the mysterious Lord Archer and Miranda vows to not lose herself to a man ever again.

Lord Benjamin Archer has led a cursed life, quite literally. He knows he shouldn't tempt fate by bringing Miranda into his life, but logic seldom wins against desire. He accepts Miranda as his bride and inevitably brings her into the world of darkness and secrets where danger lies in every inch, and most dangerous of all is Archer himself.

Now these two lost souls find their other half in each other, but can a distance between them, filled with lies, mystery and secrets ever bulge?

What I liked: 

  • Benjamin Archer. He was contradiction. Strong, yet vulnerable. Beast, yet a lost boy. Old, yet so naive. Hurt, yet loving. Archer doesn't fit your bill of a tortured hero. He is a person of his own and so wonderfully created by Callihan that I couldn't help falling for him.
  • Miranda Ellis. She was strong headed, stubborn, iron willed and exactly what Archer needed. 
  • The writing. Sometimes when an author tries to write mysteriously or inflicts an aura of darkness in the writing, I feel lost and disconnected. But, Kristen Callihan does a wonderful job here. Her writing creates a mist around the reader and transports you to that paranormal world! I was titillating,
What I could have liked better:
  • The pace. It took too long to reveal the secrets, and I was so frustrated to know something! I at least wanted a couple of hints along the story, but the author kept all the final reveal, which my impatience found irritating!
  • The Ending. I hept hoping for something big and finally the secret fell short of what I expected. May be it was my fault for expected something more complex, but the end left me vaguely disappointed

Final Verdict:


I did like this book and am not at all dissatisfied with it, but this book didn't hook me in for me to continue the series. I might pick up the second book 'Moonglow' but maybe not in the future.
All in all I give this book:  3 Stars



Chao, 
Keep Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment